The University of Malawi Medical Scheme was formed in June 2009 to provide affordable healthcare finance for the healthcare needs of staff of the University of Malawi and their dependants and all bona fide Students.
The Scheme is an in-house arrangement allowing members more flexibility and better benefit options. The Scheme maintains the best relationships with Service Providers ensuring that members have a 24 -hour access to medical treatment.
The Scheme has three levels of cover:
- Comprehensive Cover: The comprehensive cover is the highest level of cover currently offered by the Scheme. The cover is open to all Academic and Administrative Staff and CTS staff in categories H, I and J and their dependants.
- Standard Cover: The Standard cover is a middle level cover open to all CTS staff in categories A to G and their dependants. Staff Members in this level of cover are allowed to upgrade to the Comprehensive Cover provided they make a top-up on the monthly contribution.
- Student Cover: This cover is open to all bona-fide students of the University of Malawi and it is only valid for the period of study (including vacations)
For the monthly premiums and annual benefits applicable to these covers, please contact the Scheme Management.
Why Choose UNIMED Over Other Schemes?
- No Drug restrictions: All medicines are covered as long as they provide a medical benefit. There are no restrictions on medication to be dispensed by your hospital. Please refer to the general exclusions for a detailed list of excluded procedures and treatment.
- Flexibility: The in-house arrangement is very flexible for staff and students especially when itcomes to making special considerations for staff and students with special needs.
- Commitment to Customer Service: The Scheme’s staff is dedicated to customer service to ensure that clients are not inconvenienced when they need medical assistance at any hour of the day. The Scheme has various communication lines that are open 24/7 to ensure that help is readily available. Please see our contacts page.
- Commitment to Service improvement: All the excess money that the Scheme realizes will be used to improve the services of the Scheme thereby directly benefiting the members. With UNIMED service improvement is always guaranteed.
- Your healthcare is our core responsibility: The UNIMED office was set up solely to provide healthcare services to staff and students. This is our key responsibility. UNIMED is not for profit; its major goal is to provide the best medical benefits to its members.
Our membership registration process is simple. You will be required to fill in the appropriate (Staff or Student) membership registration form. These forms are readily available with the Registrar’s Secretary. The registration forms can also be downloaded on our downloads page.
You are required to attach two color passport -size photographs with a white background for you, and each dependant in cases of staff members, to the registration forms. Please clearly indicate the name of the person at the back of each photograph.
Completed registration forms should be sent to UNIMED via the University mail system.
The Scheme issues out membership identification cards to all members within two weeks of registration. If you have not yet received your card within this period, please contact UNIMED immediately.
The membership cards are initially issued out at no cost to the member but any subsequent replacements are done at a fee determined by the Scheme from time to time. You can get the Card Replacement Form on our downloads page.
All changes affecting membership need to be communicated to the Scheme in writing. Addition and deletion of dependants must be notified using the Dependants Ammendment Form available on the downloads page.
Access of Treatment
- Visit an authorized Service Provider: Depending on your cover, you can visit any Service Provider of your choice. You will find your name at the hospital. You will be required to produce your UNIMED membership Identification card for verification.
- Access treatment: You will be requested to complete the UNIMED claims forms which are already placed at the hospitals. Please ensure that you have included all information on the claim form: all names and relationships, dates, membership number, cover and college.
- Please sign the Claim forms after they have indicated all the items and total cost of treatment. Before signing, please verify that you have received all the medication indicated on the claim form.
The claim forms are in triplicate and you are supposed to collect and keep the blue copy for your records. The hospital will send your bill to UNIMED for settlement. Don’t leave the hospital without knowing how much they have charged you for the medication and procedures.